With the PIN reset letter from the Federal Ministry of the Interior and Home Affairs, holders of a German identity card or an eID card for EU citizens can unblock their identity card (even without a PUK), assign a new identity card PIN and activate the online identity card function (eID function). Due to legal peculiarities in the right of residence, holders of a residence permit can only unblock their ID card, assign a new ID card PIN or activate the eID function on site at their citizens’ registration office. If you have any questions about the PIN reset service, please contact the PIN reset service support.
To order the PIN reset letter
- Download the “AusweisApp2” app from the App Store or Play Store.
- Use your NFC-enabled smartphone to access the website https://www.pin-ruecksetzbrief-bestellen.de/en.
- Click on “ORDER YOUR LETTER FOR FREE”.
- Click on “CONTINUE WITH AUSWEISAPP2”. There will be an automatic redirect to the AusweisApp2.
- Click on “Proceed to CAN entry” in the AusweisApp2. Hold your ID card to the NFC interface of your smartphone and enter your CAN when prompted. The CAN is a 6 digit number located in the lower right corner of the front of your ID card.
- Once your data has been processed, you will receive notification that your order was successful. If the process stops for example because your badge was removed too early, you may need to restart the process.
You will usually receive your PIN reset letter in the mail within seven business days. You must receive the PIN reset letter in person and identify yourself with your ID card when you receive the letter. If you are not at home, you can pick up the letter at your local post office. After receiving the letter, you will need to re-activate your ID card with the activation code. With the PIN from the letter, you can then use the online ID card function without restriction. If you wish, you can change the PIN by using the AUTHADA app.