Frequently asked question
If you no longer have your PIN letter at hand or have forgotten your PIN, you may reset your PIN. There are two options available to you for this:
Option 1: On site at your citizens’ registration office.
You may set a new PIN for the German ID card, the residence permit or the eID card for EU citizens at your local citizens’ registration office.
Option 2: Online with the PIN reset letter
You may order a so-called PIN reset letter online via the service of the Federal Ministry of the Interior and Home Affairs.
Please note that the PIN reset service is not an AUTHADA service.
Individuals with a German ID card or the eID card for EU citizens may order the PIN reset letter, which will be sent by post approximately one week after application. It contains a new ID card PIN and an activation code or QR code to activate the online ID card function. Please note that the service is not set up for residence permits. Due to legal peculiarities in the right of residence of persons with residence permits, a new PIN for this can only be applied for on site at the local citizens’ registration office.
If you have any questions about the PIN reset service, please contact the PIN reset service support: https://www.pin-ruecksetzbrief-bestellen.de/support
To order the PIN reset letter
- Download the “AusweisApp2” app from the App Store or Play Store.
- Access the website https://www.pin-ruecksetzbrief-bestellen.de/ with your NFC-enabled smartphone. (Here you can also obtain further information on the reset service).
- Click on “ORDER A LETTER FREE OF CHARGE”.
- Click on “CONTINUE WITH AUSWEISAPP2”. This will automatically redirect you to the AusweisApp2.
- Click on “CONTINUE TO CAN ENTRY” in the AusweisApp2. Hold your ID card up to the NFC interface on your smartphone and enter your CAN when prompted. The CAN has 6 digits and is located at the bottom right of the front of your ID card.
- Once your data has been processed, you will receive notification that your order has been successful. If the process stops because, for example, the badge was removed too early, you may need to restart the process.
You should receive your PIN reset letter by post within seven business days. You must accept the PIN reset letter in person and identify yourself with your ID card when you receive the letter. If you are not at home, you can pick up the letter at your local post office. After obtaining the letter, you will need to re-activate your ID card with the activation code. With the PIN from the letter, you can then use the online ID card function without any restrictions. If you wish, you may change the PIN using the AUTHADA app.